© 2019 - All Rights Reserved. WELSH WHITELEY ARCHITECTS, LLC. 

PORTLAND HOTEL

Welsh Whiteley Architects, working closely with BBFM Engineers, Inc., performed construction documentation for restoration of this 1897 two-story, 5,000 sq ft commercial building, within the National Register Landmark Skagway Historic District, to meet the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.

 

Structural stabilization and restoration of the building's primary facades were partially funded through a grant from the State of Alaska Office of History and Archaeology. 

 

Challenges included devising creative structural solutions for unorthodox turn-of-the-century building techniques and producing detailed drawings for recreation of the original glazed storefront and decorative cornice, removed in the 1940s. 

Photos courtesy of the National Park Service and  the Skagway Historical Museum